How to test Beta build in AppleTV using TestFlight
How to test Beta build in AppleTV using TestFlight
What is a Beta build?
- It is the version that marks the completion of the app’s development. Also, It is the first build available to users outside development and can still have minor bugs and stability issues. (first opportunity for validation)
- At this stage, no new features are added and the main focus is to improve the quality, usability, and overall experience.
- The app is tested in “real world” environments with different scenarios by external testers/users.
- Access restricted to invited members or open where anyone can participate.
- If you encounter any issue, then the developers will view the bug and crash reports and fix all the reported defects and iterate on the builds until the application is ready for release.
- Also, If feedback does not cover major flaws in features or functionality, the team will address them before release; otherwise, the feedback is implemented in the next iteration.
What is the need to test beta build?
- Beta testing is the best way to find bugs and usability issues before a product is fully released. While internal testing cannot cover all problems.
- Apart from that, beta testing is the first opportunity to test software in an actual production environment. This ensures the software can perform under real workloads like speed, storage, and scalability.
- We also get a chance to refine the positioning, marketing, and communication about the product through beta testing, because these can be tested by people who are actually now using it.
Difference between alpha build and beta build?
|Alpha Testing||Beta Testing|
|Performed by Testers who are usually internal employees of the company.||Performed by Clients or End Users who are not employees of the company.|
|Performed at developer’s location||Performed at a client/end user location|
|Involves white box and black box testing||Involves black box testing|
|Requires a lab environment or testing environment||It doesn’t require any lab environment or testing environment.|
|Long execution cycle is required||Only a few weeks of execution are required|
|Critical issues/fixes can be fixed by developers immediately||Most of the issues or feedback is collected from Beta testing and those will be implemented in future versions of the product|
|It ensure the quality of the product before moving to Beta testing||It also concentrates on the quality of the product, but gathers users input on the product and ensures that the product is ready for real time users.|
What is TestFlight?
- It is a platform which is provided by Apple that allows you to send a testable version of your app to specific beta users
- Also makes it easy to invite users to test the apps and get valuable feedback before releasing the apps on the App Store
- TestFlight for tvOS is available in English (U.S.).
How to send beta build using testflight?
Once the build is uploaded on TestFlight, it gets reviewed by Apple and the build state changes to “Ready to Test”. Now one can test the build through:
- Public URL
- Using Email
Internal vs External Testers:
The uploaded build gets reviewed by internal and external testers.
- One can add up to 25 members of a team who have been assigned the Admin, Technical, App Manager, Developer, or Marketer role to test your app.
- Internal testers can access all the beta builds available for testing.
External Testers and Groups:
- One can invite up to 10,000 external testers using their email address or by sharing a public link.
- One can also create multiple groups and add different builds to each one.
How to get beta build for testing in tvOS?
- Upload the build on TestFlight
- The build will be reviewed by Apple.
- Once reviewed, send an email to the added tester.
- Open your tvOS device and install the TestFlight app from the App Store
- Login using that email id.
- App/Build will display on the screen.
When the testing period is over, you will not be able to open the beta build.A build is available to test for up to 90 days, starting from the day the developer uploads their build. You can see the expiry date of the build under the app name in TestFlight.
How to test the beta build?
To test beta versions of apps using TestFlight, you need to accept an email or public link invitation from the developer.
Installing a Beta build on tvOS from an Email Invitation?
- Install TestFlight on tvOS
- Open your invitation email on the computer or a mobile device .
- Click or tap Start Testing.
- Open TestFlight on tvOS.
- Go to Redeem and enter the redemption code.
Installing a Beta build on tvOS from a Public Link Invitation?
- Install TestFlight on an iOS device and tvOS where you can sign in to the same App Store account.
- Tap the public link on your iOS device.
- Tap Accept for the app you want.
- Open TestFlight on tvOS. (signed into the same App Store account used in iOS device)
- Install the app you want to test.
Testing Multiple Builds:
One can see the latest available build by default on viewing an app in TestFlight. You can still test all previous builds that are available.
- Go to the App’s page in TestFlight.
- Select the app.
- Click on Builds.
- Tap and install the build (override the existing build)